Rescuers have found one more survivor and recovered five bodies from a Thai warship that sank over the weekend in the Gulf of Thailand, navy officials said, the two dozen people still missing.

The HTMS Sukhothai, a corvette in service for 35 years, sank on Sunday night in rough seas with 105 people on board.

Officials have acknowledged that there were not enough life jackets for all those on board. 76 people have now been rescued, five have been found dead and 24 are still unaccounted for.

The navy said an earlier tally of 106 people on board was incorrect because one sailor failed to join the journey.

Navy commander Admiral Cherngchai Chomcherngpat said initially at a news conference in Bangkok that two people had been rescued on Tuesday

but later said he had received updated information that only one person was alive and that five bodies had been recovered.

The navy has deployed four large ships, two maritime patrol aircraft, two helicopters and a drone, and the air force has contributed one plane and one helicopter.