Lebanon’s military tribunal has charged seven suspects for participating in an attack last month that killed a United Nations peacekeeper when the convoy that was carrying him came under attack
Irish Private Sean Rooney, 23, was killed and three other peacekeepers were wounded on December 14 when a group of armed men shot at the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL)
vehicle near the village of al-Aqbiya in southern Lebanon, a centre of support for the Lebanese group Hezbollah, which has denied any role in the killing.
In late December, the Lebanese military arrested a suspect “in cooperation with Hezbollah”, according to the Iran-backed Shia group, which said the man was not one of its members.
The arrested man and six other fugitives were charged in the attack, according to a judicial official familiar with the investigation, a legal official following the case and a military official.
The officials said a search was under way for the other six suspects and that authorities were trying to determine whether they had left the country.
UNIFIL has urged Lebanese authorities to ensure a swift investigation into the first violent death of one of its peacekeepers in nearly eight years.