An explosion that levelled a block of flats in Jersey has killed seven people, police say. A further two people are still missing.

Five people were initially known to have died in the blast on Saturday, with detectives now confirming two more deaths.

"The families have been made aware of this announcement and are being supported by specially trained family liaison officers," said Jersey Police chief Robin Smith.

"The fatalities have not yet been formally identified. The Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) process must be carefully considered and managed in a dignified and compassionate way.

The Viscount's Office has confirmed that inquests will only be opened once the DVI process has been fully completed.

Emergency services have been conducting searches of the blast site in St Helier since Saturday, and confirmed on Monday that they are no longer looking for survivors.

When asked what could cause such a "ferocious" explosion, Paul Brown, the chief fire officer, previously said there were "many different potential causes", but it was too early to speculate.